Several things have been conspiring to put me in an exquisitely excellent mood. Here are some:
1. My Beloved Editrix wrote me last night with the next round of notes on IRON HEARTED VIOLET. And guess what! She doesn’t hate it! In fact, she kinda digs it. And I am ludicrously happy about that.
2. I, Kelly Barnhill, have received my very first piece of fan mail. And this after getting some pretty nasty letters over a particular poem that, shall we say, portrayed a rather salty version of Jesus. (I don’t care if those people didn’t like the poem, by the way. It’s not great literature by any stretch of the imagination, but I still like it, after all these days, so there.) Anyway, FAN MAIL!! Who knew?
3. My baby brother is getting married this weekend. And now I’m feeling super lovey-dovey, which always embarrasses the heck out of my husband, which, of course, is an added bonus. Ah! So fun to be of the long-married!
4. Because my brother is getting married, and because we are Catholic and therefore more numerous than the stars in the heavens and the sands on the sea shore, I have a SLEW of relatives descending on our fair city as we speak. So there’s lots of folks to hang out with – including a particularly beloved Aunt and Uncle that I got to have coffee with just yesterday. Hooray!
6. I’m letting the newest draft of WITLESS NED sit for a little bit, and in the meantime have started on a new project. And I’m really digging it!
7. I’m writing poetry again. Granted: the poems themselves mostly suck, but I don’t care. I’m not interested in sending them anywhere or doing anything with them, or even editing them. I just like writing them and sending them into the air. Like balloons.
8. IT’S FALL! And after WEDDING MADNESS ™ finally winds down, I will be raking leaves and going apple picking and spiking cider and roasting vegetables and preparing for snow. Autumn is, by far, my favorite season. I can’t wait until we have our first fire in the fireplace.
So those are my reasons. Does anyone have anything to add? Anything that you are feeling particularly happy about (and that I can share in your excellent mood)?