1. Wood ducks. Lots of them.
2. Four swans.
3. A snow-and-mud-soaked copy of Dandelion Wine, by Ray Bradbury. The book had been ripped down the spine, and half of it was missing. Also a triangle of the front cover was torn off. It also had most of a phone number with two digits missing (probably in the missing triangle). Underneath the number – the name Jared. And a heart.
4. A child’s shoe. No laces.
5. A skateboard with one wheel.
6. Three beavers, two with ridiculously large branches in their mouths.
7. One loon. I called to it. It called back.
8. A guy riding a motorcycle in shorts and no shirt. Also barefoot.
9. An empty bag of extra-hot Doritos in the mouth of a very large crow sitting in an empty tree.
10. A willow tree with yellow-gold branches. Before it greens, it glows. And right now the entire world is in those moments before green. Everything living is thinking green thoughts and dreaming green dreams, and waiting for the moment when the world swells, uncurls, blossoms and grows.
That was my adventure. Or at least my real adventure. My other adventure was in my head and on the page, and I’m still reeling from it.
What did the rest of you do today?